Tuesday, April 24, 2012

One Borrower's Decision to Stop Student Loan Repayments

"I am aware of the total lack of consumer protection associated with student debt. I knew that if I was unable to make my minimum payments, they would hit me with late fees, penalties, etc. They would harass me. In ruining my credit history, they would make it impossible for me to get access to basic services. Forget about taking out another loan – I’m talking about not being able to rent an apartment. And defaulting would not only mean a ruined credit history, it would mean that my debt would double, triple, quadruple, etc…I would be a slave forever.

But I took a long, hard look at the numbers, and I realized that I am already a slave."

Great article: http://www.alternet.org/story/153311/i_said_no_to_my_student_loan:_one_borrower%27s_decision_to_stop_paying?page=entire

No comments: